First, Consider Retaining Wall Materials
Although there are a variety of materials available for retaining walls, concrete offers the strongest choice. Wood is an inexpensive solution; however, it will undoubtedly succumb to rot and termites. Concrete, however, is stronger, more durable whilst also being low maintenance, making it the better choice for the long-term.
Recognising a Good Quality Wall
It is easy to recognise good quality retaining walls, as they support and enrich the landscape they are placed in.
- Good quality walls have considered location. As such, natural drainage patterns, additional weights and excess soil have all been taken into consideration during the planning stage, and the wall will not experience structural defects or excessive pressure.
- The base soil is solid and firm because it has been chosen in order to meet wall requirements.
- The design corresponds to the landscape needs. It is sufficiently sloped and should reinforcement methods be needed to support the wall, they have been added.
Why is It Important to Hire a Professional Retaining Wall Builder?
Only a professional retaining wall builder will be able to understand and implement all the relevant considerations to build a durable and well-designed retaining wall. Non-standard retaining walls are rarely successful because the building code and professional training that wall builders follow is key to the success of a quality retaining wall.
There are several problems which could occur should a professional retaining wall builder not be hired:
- The concrete retaining wall may experience bulging or leaning down the wall, which are results of structural defects and excessive pressure. This may be because location wasn’t thoroughly considered.
- Cracking lines indicate the beginning of a problem – often that there is more pressure than the wall can hold.
- Collapsed landscape holes mean that pockets have opened up and soil has likely shifted to the other side of the wall. This often happens when natural drainage patterns aren’t considered.
These can all easily be avoided with the help of a professional retaining wall builder.