Over their lifespan, even the highest quality concrete troughs may develop leaks over time. In this article, we explore several ways you can care for your concrete troughs, preventing leakage and cracks and extending their lifespans.
What Contributes to Leaks and Cracks?
Concrete troughs are highly durable; however, common causes of deterioration include:
- Concrete erosion due to water acidity or hardness
- Changes in temperature, which cause the concrete to contract and expand, which can lead to cracks
- Soil erosion causing the trough to shift and slowly crack due to the changes in pressure
- Changes in water level
- Movement or incorrect placement of the base that supports the concrete
The effect of the above contributors can be managed and decreased with careful consideration.
Caring For Your Concrete Trough
There are a few ways you can care for your concrete trough in order to extend its lifespan.
- Firstly, pour a ring of concrete around the trough. This will stop it from shifting out of level, decreasing the chances of leaks and cracks.
- Secondly, ensure all water entry points are properly secured. This makes the pipes less susceptible to damage. Whilst securing water entry points, ensure that drainage has also been accounted for. Proper drainage will make it easier to flush out slime and mud.
- Thirdly, account for algae, which can cause damage to troughs and livestock alike. Whether you decide to use trough blocks or fish, do your research and pick the most suitable choice.
- It is also important to regularly and thoroughly clean your concrete trough. This reduces dirt build-up, water toxicity and erosion. It’s not only great for your trough, but also for your livestock!
The above tips will certainly extend your trough’s lifespan – but there are also other measures you can consider. For further tips, contact us today – we’d be happy to discuss them with you.
Waterproofing and Preventing Leakage
When it comes to waterproofing and preventing leakage in concrete troughs, sealants are the answer. When applied, they form water-tight and durable seals, ideal for waterproofing and preventing leakage in concrete troughs. Alongside this, most are water-resistant, clear and treated to prevent mould growth. They are also flexible and do not dry out or crack, making them a great solution for preventing interior leaks.
Sealants can also be applied for exterior leaks – so on both the interior and exterior of your concrete trough, sealants should be applied to first waterproof it, and secondly to prevent leakage and increase the lifespan of your concrete troughs.
Vikon Precast is here to help with all your quality concrete trough needs. Located conveniently in Bairnsdale, East Gippsland, we are a family-owned and operated manufacturer of agricultural and civil concrete fixtures. We are ideally located to service customers in south-eastern Victoria, and with our user-focused designs, are a favourite provider across the state.
If you are looking for a locally manufactured, top quality solution for your concrete trough needs, or are in need of Victoria’s best agricultural or civil concrete fixtures, call Vikon Precast today.